The Abqaiq Cookbook - 1973
Roast, round steak or etc. defrosted (not for ground beef)
About 2/3 cup salt
Large casserole or pot – both with cover
If you find the beef rather strong tasting, this treatment will make it mild and much more tender:
- Rinse meat in sweet water.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut all the fat and connecting tissue of the meat away as the fat holds much of that strong flavor.
- Dissolve 1/3 cup salt in sweet water (enough to cover the meat). Soak meat 20 minutes.
- Drain meat, rinse in sweet water.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5.
- Place in covered casserole and refrigerate 3-5 days (roast 5 days) draining off blood and rinsing 3 times. This ages the meat and allows all the blood to be drawn out and takes away the strong taste.
- Lard roasts with bacon or port fat if necessary.