Dhahran Women's Group, Family Favorites - Volume 1, 1987
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon margarine
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons flour
2 packets low-sodium beef broth dissolved in 2 cups hot water
1/2 cup salt-free tomato paste
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 cups carrot chunks
2 cups small white onion, cut into wedges
10 1/2 ounces potatoes, cubed
1 cinnamon stick
1 1/4 pounds trimmed filet of sirloin, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 1/2 cups green beans
Salt and pepper to taste
- In Dutch oven, over medium heat, heat margarine until bubbly. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in beef broth, tomato paste, wine and vinegar; bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently, until sauce is thick.
- Add carrots, onions, potatoes and cinnamon stick; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove and discard cinnamon stick.
- Broil meat on a rack until rare. (It will continue to cook when put into the stew.)
- Add green beans to stew and simmer 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add meat to stew and simmer another 3 to 4 minutes. (Do not simmer for a longer period, as it would only toughen the meat.)
- Season with salt and pepper.
Yield: Serves 4 (459 calories per serving.)
Louel Larkin, Dhahran