Dhahran Women's Group, Family Favorites - Volume 1, 1987
Main Dish - Al Kabsah Page 322 (Dh women's group - Vol 1)
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoon oil OR shortening
2 tablespoon Bazar
1 1/2 teaspoon lume aswad (powdered dried lime)
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 pound lamb OR chicken (cut into small pieces)
2 teaspoon salt
3 tomatoes (cut into small pieces)
3 1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups Peshawar rice
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons almonds
2 tablespoons pine nuts
2 onions, chopped
1/4 cup raisins
- In a deep pan saute the onion in the oil until yellowish. Add half the Bazar, lime and cardamom. Stir a little.
- Add the meat and stir for 3 to 4 minutes; add salt, tomatoes and stir until they are well distributed.
- Cover the pan and let simmer on a medium heat until the tomatoes are dissolved, turning the meat occasionally.
- Pour 3 1/2 cups boiling water over the meat and let it boil on a low flame until well done. Remove meat from the water.
- Soak the rice in warm water for about 15 minutes. Decant the water and add the rice to the meat water. Stir immediately and slowly to keep the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Boil over medium heat for about 3 minutes, then reduce to low and let simmer for about 25 minutes.
- In 2 tablespoons oil, saute the almonds, then the pine nuts, then the 2 onions, each separately in the same oil.
- Soak the raisins in warm water for about 15 minutes. Discard the water from the raisins and squeeze them to get rid of any excess water.
- Add the raisins, the remainder of the Bazar, the lime powder and cardamon to the pine nuts and almonds and stir over a low flame for about 3 minutes.
- To serve, put the rice in a platter with the meat on top. Decorate the top with the pine nuts and almond mixture.
Munira Al-Ashgar, Dhahran